Monday, August 8, 2011

The Young Ones www.goodtimes.my

Making a difference ... young politicians are changing the political scene with their passion and fresh ideas.

An interesting characteristic of the current political landscape is the many young people who have joined the different political parties and are rising up the ranks. GoodTimes.my interviewed some of them to find out why they joined the tough world of politics.

Both sides of the political divide were interviewed and found to be deeply passionate about their chosen field.

While heavily involved in politics, some of them have to juggle other roles as well.
Neil Foo (MCA), for example, is not only a key figure spearheading youth strategies in Barisan Nasional, he is also an entrepreneur who has built a successful flooring business along with his other responsibilities as husband and father to two young children.

These young politicians are fortunate to have supportive and understanding families.


We asked these politicians three questions each and their responses are below:

1) Why did you choose to be involved in politics?

“I was very much the influenced by my father who was a youth leader (in MCA) in the 1980s, so I grew up exposed to the workings of the party. This cultivated an interest towards youth-related activities and politics.” - Neil Foo Seck Chyn, 45, Chief of MCA National Youth Strategic Planning Research Bureau

2) Why did you choose your political party?


Foo ... can do a lot more in the ruling party.

“Partly because of my father’s participation in MCA Youth. However, in the 1980s, he was sacked from the party for being too vocal and since then he has supported the opposition. During my younger days, especially while in university, I too was a supporter of the opposition parties. But after working for a few years, I thought deeply about it and realised that I could do a lot more by being a part of the ruling party (Barisan Nasional) because they have the structure and the resources.” – Foo, MCA

“ I believe that if you want to help the community and the country, you must be well-prepared – in terms of your wealth, your income, among other things. I hope that with my business I can add value to the party and serve the community.” – Foo, MCA

(Interviews conducted by Susanna Khoo and Yvonne Lim.)


No comments: